Monday, March 20, 2023

Monday, March 20, 2023, Adam Vincent

Today's theme entries bring us a combination of a foodstuff plus a word that can mean to leave, replicating the pattern given in the revealer of DINEANDDASH. I was amused and entertained by all the fun entries: BANANASPLIT, TOFUSCRAMBLE, LEMONPEEL, and CINNAMONROLL. In something of a cosmic miracle, fussier eater that I am, these are all foods I like. 

And that's not all I liked. There were good entries APLENTY including  TUB (such a nice, resonant word), GASUP, FLUBBED, and PEONS. The clue "Pushing the envelope, so to speak" reminded me that I once thought that would be a great slogan for the U.S. Post Office - ha! Another option for it is EDGY

20D: MOTEL

Witty REPARTEE included the old fish joke (DAM), "Cut the crop?" for REAP, "'Peeper' that makes no sound" (EYE), and "'Honey' or 'sugar' alternative" (DARLING). I also enjoyed the nice-to-think-about "Hit the ___(go to bed)" (HAY) . With everything else seeming so upbeat and cheery, the only thing I found to HANOI was TRACHEA, which stuck in the throat a bit.

And, since today is the vernal equinox, I think URL agree that it would be hard to find a EMIR appropriate entry than ROBIN, "symbolizing the arrival of spring." FWORD into a new season, dear Readers!

~Frannie. 

3 comments:

  1. You're in top form, Frannie o' mine! And this puzzle is, to my mind, simply amazing. Five theme entries with nary a bit o' glue? Wonderful! And a bonus for me -- I never heard the fish joke until today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "FWORD into a new season." That's some classic Frannie right there. Nice review. :)

    ReplyDelete