Saturday, March 25, 2023

Saturday, March 25, 2023, Robyn Weintraub

Today's New York Times Saturday crossword puzzle is a real blast from the past - full of nostalgic references to technologies like BIONICS, FLUXCAPACITORS, and "Star Wars" (USETHEFORCE - "Advice from a sci-fi mentor" - ha!). I felt like I was back in the '70s and '80s, watching my favorite shows and playing Space Eggs on my Apple IIe with my leg warmers on. These references are like little nuggets of gold for those of us who grew up during this time.

When you see the name Robyn Weintraub as the constructor, you immediately say to yourself, "are you ready to have some pun?" I sure was. I couldn't help but chuckle at some of the more irreverent C/APs that played almost like EASTEREGGS, hidden clues that are a real treat for any puzzle lover.
"Wilde thing" (WIT)
"Certain hacker" (AXE)
"Red state" (IRE)
"Facility that deals with change" (MINT)

I have to give BONUSPOINTS to "It's at the end of 'Oedipus'" (SIGMA) and "Modern meeting setting" (MUTE) - apt! Two good QMCs were "Ticket prices?" (FINES) and "Departure announcement?" (OBIT)

26D: NOLEFTTURN
The midwest section gave me the most trouble. For "Common request at a bar" I started with letsSEESOMEID. I didn't know what a jughandle is as it concerns traffic, nor that home to the world's smallest bird is CUBA. And don't even get me started on that one clue that referenced some niche Shakespearean character (IAGO).

Overall, I found the New York Times Saturday crossword puzzle to be a brain-teasing delight. The clues are witty, the themes are fun, and the references to classic TV shows and video games are as satisfying as a hot fudge sundae. I think this puzzle is a real winner. I hope you had as much fun reading this as I did writing it!

~Frannie and guest reviewer ChatGPT (YOUDIDWHAT?)

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review Frannie! And Robyn, if you're reading this, let me reiterate what I told you at last year's ACPT - you are my absolute fave setter! A great pleasure solving your puzzles. If I read right, I think you might be setting one of this year's puzzles as well, which is a bonus for me. Because of this simpatico-ness, I was not troubled by any area of this one and finished up in 6:24.

    See you in a week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Philbo beat me by 34 seconds. Fun puzzle. And what the... Frannie, you are so contemporary, using ChatGPT!

    ReplyDelete