Sunday, March 12, 2023

Sunday, March 12, 2023, David Tuffs

THIS & THAT

Hello, Dear Reader. Horace here, back again for a little of this & that, but first, thanks to Colum and Amy for two fine weeks of reviews!

And now, on to the theme which, as usual, I did not even consider until I had finished the puzzle. It was only then that I saw that the shaded and circled letters went together in a "this & that" kind of way. "Loud & clear," "fine & dandy" (not to be confused with the Maytals' "Sweet & Dandy"), "back & forth," etc. And then I understood what that second half of each theme clue was doing. Luckily, I was able to finish it without that knowledge, but still, I think it might behoove me to pay a little more attention to things like this, especially with Puzzle Five looming...

INDUS river

I love the word ANODYNE (Inoffensive). I didn't recognize the root, though, so I looked it up just now and no wonder - it's from Greek, not Latin. I only have Latin. I guess it's time to get started learning Greek... anyway, apparently, the "an" prefix means "without" (much like the "a" of Latin and English) and "odunē" (or "odynē") means "pain." So, "painless." Cool.

It's interesting to see that BUDDHA's name was Siddhartha Gautama. Any relation to Gudetama? Heh.

"It might end on a high note" is a cute clue for YODEL. And speaking of high, I associate HIGHASAKITE with either being high, or just being over-the-moon happy, not with being drunk, which is what I think "Three sheets to the wind" usually indicates. Putting too fine a point on it? Perhaps. But hey, what am I even doing this for if not to discuss the edges?

Speaking of edges, "Mushy PEAS?" ok. OKRAS? Weak.

I thought the clue "Potential result of a strike" was great, because even when I had "PAY..." I thought it might still be "paydirt" until I was forced into PAYHIKE. Hah!

Overall, I liked this one. I'd say more, but I've got to get ready to go watch the state finals of a high school poetry recitation competition. I know, right? How much more fun could a person have on a Sunday morning? 

I'll see you again tomorrow. Happy puzzling!

- Horace

4 comments:

  1. I never look at the theme until after the puzzle is done. This is to my detriment sometimes, from a timing perspective, although it often makes the puzzle more fun by way of being more challenging. That said, looking back at this one - what an inspired theme! How difficult it must have been to come up with those phrases, that contained the interlocking sub-phrases!! Horace, I'm with you on HIGHASAKITE. And it doesn't seem right to pluralize OKRA. 11:29, a little on the speedy side for a Monday...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really fun theme, and terrific fill -- a Sunday treat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Much like Philbo, I was on the speedy side for a Sunday, although my own time was a little over 22 minutes, not 11. Quite an impressive theme and puzzle construction. I didn't fully understand the theme until I finished, when I noticed the shaded squares contained another word, and then it all came together. I'm a big fan of mushy PEAS, but having not yet been to England, I enjoyed my first dish in Epcot as a side to my fish and chips with a Guinness. I have not yet said OKRAS, though, and hopefully never will.

    ReplyDelete