Monday, March 27, 2023

Monday, March 27, 2023, Simon Marotte and Trenton Lee Stewart

Let's play 20 Questions, but only about rock bands... Animal, vegetable, or mineral? Our three answers are placed in the correct order from top to bottom: COUNTINGCROWS, SMASHING / PUMPKINS, and (the) ROLLINGSTONES. A little disappointing that the last one dropped the definite article from the start of the band's name, but otherwise a cute little theme.

I'd rank the Stones first from a historical perspective, although I probably like the first Counting Crows album (August and Everything After) as much as anything Jagger and Co. put out. Not a huge fan of Smashing Pumpkins.

I smashed through this puzzle, so it's a shame I won't be at the ACPT this YEAR (2:36). I'm counting on regular reader and commenter Philbo to GOBAG or go home. Um. You know what I mean.

Sonia BRAGA

A straightforward Monday, without a lot to comment on in the fill or the clues. Best clue of the day is 62A: One may arrive on a saucer (ALIEN). SPACERACE and SLIDESHOW are good long down answers. 4D: Sandwiches that may save the day? (HEROS) gets a mild chuckle. 

More SONNETs and Winnie the Pooh (HONEY) make everybody's day brighter. I enjoyed this puzzle, and hope our contestants for this upcoming weekend are practicing their solving on paper.

- Colum


1 comment:

  1. I am not practicing on paper as much as I should, that’s for sure, but I am going to take your review as a reminder. I enjoyed the CA/Ps “Fez-shaped chocolates (ROLOS) and “Joltless javas” (DECAFS). I thought BEADS for “Necklace decorations” was a bit odd, but I essentially breezed right through at what I thought was a good clip. However, your solve time was just under half of mine, so it will definitely be up to Philbo to shoulder the GOBAG at this year’s ACPT.

    ReplyDelete