Tuesday, March 14, 2023

Tuesday, March 14, 2023, Peter Gordon

Welp, I guess this story isn't going to wrap up NEATLY, so on we go.

OK, I'm going to be more ACID than NIMBLE today as I MALIGN certain entries. UPROSE, for example. The first thing that came to mind when I saw that was a sentence from the Dutch Duolingo course: "De uitjes kwamen in opstand." (The little onions revolted.) And why Dutch, YOU might ask? Because "opstand" is the closest thing I've ever heard to UPROSE. UPROSE doesn't remind me of anything in English, because no one's ever said it in English. Just like GASSER. Maybe I'm just not that funny, but no one has ever called one of my jokes a GASSER. And I know plenty of old people! Old people who might have once said AWGOON or INAPIGSEYE in the Good OLDDAYS.

IGA Swiatek

I like SCREECH (Sound from an owl). We had little SCREECH owls that would come and sit on the roof and make horrible noises when we were summering in Tuscany. Have I mentioned that before? Well, you're going to be hearing a lot more stories about my life, apparently, because I have to find something to talk about when the theme is all about sportsball.

Favorite clue: Something that has to be broken before it can be used. (EGG). Reminds me of John Donne's "Batter my heart" sonnet that includes, as you know, the lines "That I may rise and stand, o'erthrow me, and bend / Your force to break, blow, burn, and make me new." Would that it were possible, eh?

- Horace

2 comments:

  1. I'm afraid I was a little grouchy too, especially at GEOG. Although a park ranger could engage with economies, languages, and all that stuff, it would have been a much better idea to make a clue which does not so strongly suggest GEOl. And yes I had the eye roll at UPROSE even though maybe in the end my sense of enjoying wordplay wins out over being strict on that one.

    On the positive side, loved to find an owl which doesn't just hoot (I guess saying "certain owl" would have made it too easy but it was fun to think that to myself).

    Oh and fun clue for DELTA - hard to believe that was a year and a half ago but there we are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the CA/P “Leaves at the library? (PAGES), perhaps because of its high personal ROI quotient :). ANISE entry was TOPBANANAS. My GMAIL account dates back to those good OLDDAYS of 2004.

    ReplyDelete