Thursday, March 16, 2023

Thursday, March 16, 2023, Rebecca Goldstein

See them tumbling down
Pledging their love to the ground
Lonely but free I'll be found
Drifting along with the tumbling tumbleweeds

So begins The Big Lebowski, and so is the theme of this puzzle. Four times the letters of "weed" tumble through the middle of four Across answers, sort of rolling counter-clockwise while being read clockwise. And always working without the "roll" in the Downs. Very nice. And I'm clumping TWIRL (Go a few rounds, say?) in as side-theme.

ILSA

Some nice QMC C/APs - "Beef that's aged?" (FEUD), "Make-up artists?" (LIARS), and "Heading in the right direction?" (EAST). Heh... maps. 

In the good non-QMC category I will put "This might be rigged" (MAST), "Pop singer's nickname that omits 51-Across [ANA]" (ARI), "Shakespearean humor" (BILE) (not funny!), "Wings things" (ADLIBS) (lovely), "Kayak alternative" (EXPEDIA) (Hidden capital alert), and "Hexagon bordering two rectangles" (UTAH). Heh... maps.

MOIST (Like towelettes in a fast-food restaurant) is a word that some people love to hate. Me, I didn't like reading MIDGUT, but I'm not going to SOB about it. And speaking of words, what did we all think of SUHWEET ("Bee-you-tiful!")? I chuckled. And what more can one ask for when doing a crossword? Or anything, really. Make me laugh, and I will like you.

I know when night has gone
That a new world's born at dawn
I'll keep rolling along
Here on the range I belong
Drifting along with the tumbling tumbleweeds

- Horace

1 comment:

  1. I’ll tell you what I thought of SUHWEET - that it was spelled SUuWEET, so FWOE IS ME. :( Also, “Shakespearean humor” (BILE) = hilarious. The CA/P “Beef that’s aged” for FEUD was a prime rib.

    ReplyDelete