Monday, April 24, 2023

Monday, April 24, 2023, Emily Carroll

I am always in favor of an Emily Carroll puzzle. I have come to expect a smooth and enjoyable solve, and today's offering does not disappoint. Although I could do without one of the theme answers...

The revealer comes at 61A: Slangy question of greeting ... or a hint to 18-, 23-, 40-, and 53-Across (WHATSPOPPIN). Not a greeting question I have ever had occasion to use, but definitely common enough. And while we're happy to consider popping CORNKERNELS, a CHAMPAGNEBOTTLE, or a WHEELIE, the other does not bear mentioning.

It's a lot of theme material squeezed in, including a 15-letter grid-spanner in the middle. Ms. Carroll utilizes her black squares well so that only ten down answers have to cross over two theme answers. Those include the very nice long answers THREEPIO and PARMESAN (mmmmm... Italy).

Meg RYAN

Women and gay activism are well represented in the grid, from Margaret CHO to 34D: Comic book superheroine whose name is an anagram of SHARE (SHERA). I suppose the clue was necessary for those less familiar with this character. But if you're interested in a fine animated series, She-Ra and the Princesses of Power is quite good. We also see powerhouse Nancy PELOSI.

I'd like to give a shout-out to SALOME. I'm not as familiar with the Oscar Wilde play, but it was the basis for Richard Strauss's astonishing opera of the same name, containing one of the most delirious 10-minute segments of music, the dance of the seven veils. I read a marvelous book about 20th century music by Alex Ross ("The Rest Is Noise") which dates the start of modern musical art to the opening music of this opera.

- Colum

2 comments:

  1. Pretty gentle offering today. I got on a roll by guessing CORNKERNELS right off the bat and wrapped it up in 2:15.

    If you want to squirm in horrified fascination, tune in to "Dr. Pimple Popper". Just don't do it right before dinner (or maybe right after)

    On the strength of your post, Colum, I am listening to SALOME right now, and I may see if I can get that Alex Ross book out of the library..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! I hope you enjoy it. Richard Strauss is one of my top five favorite composers.

      Delete