Monday, April 3, 2023

Monday, April 3, 2023, David Distenfeld

I find some of the old themes comforting, don't you? I mean - a nice vowel progression on a Monday... it's a solid way to start the week. 

OCELOT

Today we've got:

HONEYSACS (Bee storage centers) (yum, but gross)
CASUALSEX (Option in a "no strings attached" relationship)
PICKSIX
(Football interception leading to a touchdown, colloquially)
TUBESOCKS (Stockings for athletes) (stockings)
THATSUCKS ("Oof, sorry to hear it")

Tidy. 

And in addition we get some nice long Downs: EYELIDS, EDIBLES, SPINJOB, YOGIBERRA, and DRSEUSS. Fun stuff. And me, I liked the one-vowel row of INPJS (Dressed for bed, informally) and TLDR ("Here's a quick summary," in internet-speak). I always think of TLDR as "Too long, didn't read," but that clue makes it seem more like "Too long, don't read." Either way, this talking about it is already TLDR.

And USUAL ("I'll have the ____" (unoriginal diner order)) reminds me that the one place we could possibly have used that line has now closed its doors for good. We went to the final goodbye party last night. Sigh. All I can say about it is THATSUCKS.

Welp. Time to get up and go to work I guess. I will look on the bright side and say that this puzzle is a nice way to start the week.

- Horace

 

p.s. If you haven't already, you might enjoy going over to xwordinfo and reading Mr. Distenfeld's own comments on this puzzle.


2 comments:

  1. TLDR does literally stand for "Too long, don't read" but almost as soon as I cane across it, it also has been in phrases like "here's the TLDR for you" or "TLDR: crosswords are fun [followed by a long essay about how fun they are]" (the latter use is especially funny, as the author is calling their own writing too long, but idioms don't always make logical sense).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/tldr

      Delete