Sunday, April 9, 2023

Sunday, April 9, 2023, John Ewbank

IF THE CLUE FITS ...

I don't know if any of you watch the show "Endeavor," but on that show, there's a Detective Thursday, and he is wont to use only the first half of a familiar saying. I know what you're saying, lots of people do that. And so they do. 

Marianne MOORE

Today's theme is YOUKNOWTHEREST. We are given the start of six common expressions:

ABIRDINTHEHAND
GREATMINDS
SPEAKOFTHEDEVIL
IFYOUCANTSTANDTHEHEAT
ALLTHATGLITTERS
WHENINROME

For five of them, I knew the rest immediately, but it's been a long time since I have heard anyone say "Speak of the devil and he doth appear," or any of its variants. But that's one of the great things about crosswords. They keep teaching me things. Speaking of - Who knew that a SHIRE was a "British draft horse?" Not me.

Although she prefers "Frannie," we here at HAFDTNYTCPFCA still enjoyed 1D: Nickname that drops -ces (FRAN). And I, personally, enjoyed 75A: Male turkey (TOM). Heh. 

My favorite clue today might be the fine non-QMC "Where there's smoke" (FLUE). And for QMCs I liked "What makes creamer creamier?" (ANI) (Classic!). And "A little light combat?" was cute for LASERTAG. There's another of the classic misleading clues - "Either of two lead characters in "Kiss me, Kate" (KAY). Heh. And speaking of the classics, we always enjoy a little lesson in classical Greek genealogy - "Mother of Apollo and Artemis" (LETO).

I've had kind of an off-week, but it's over now, and Frannie takes the reins tomorrow. Enjoy.

- Horace

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely love this puzzle! What a fun solve, and so beautifully clued, both theme and fill. I had a wonderful time. Thanks for the week, Horace!

    ReplyDelete