Monday, October 15, 2018

Tuesday, October 16, 2018, Ed Sessa

0:04:43

Very nice theme today, all put together by a perfect revealer - THATSLIFE. The other three themers, two of which are grid-spanners (!), describe three different things called Life. I love it, and I like the nod back to Sunday's theme with the first one, BOARDGAME. The BREAKFASTCEREAL has always been a favorite of mine - not really top-tier, like Freakies, Fruity Pebbles, or Cap'n Crunchberries, but still, I would definitely reach for it over many other sweetened cereals. Today, it's all Kashi Cinnamon Harvest all the time, though. Mmmm... with the unsweetened coconut milk... mmmmm.

69-Across

Where was I? ... I loved seeing MELDS (19A: Card groupings in canasta), because I used to love playing that game (back when I was still eating all that sugary cereal), but it is part of a healthy DOSE of old-skewing material: ETTU, ERAT, OMAR, CARA, MRED, ENDORA, and PAAR.

Another oldie but goodie was BATPHONE (36D: Gotham City hotline), and I also enjoyed FRAGRANT, ELECTRIC, CRABCAKE, and ZEALOT. Boy, how 'bout that clue for REO (27D: Competitor of the Essex or the Hupmobile). Seems almost Saturday-level! Lucky for me I never saw it. :)

Remember ZIMA?...

So I enjoyed the theme, and there was a lot of good mid-length material. Thumbs up!

- Horace

2 comments:

  1. Good point about PAAR skewing old. For me it is primarily crosswordese, secondarily someone famous for walking off the set in a huff, and only after that a staple of TV programming.

    But I was perplexed by "at one with". I wanted it to be "be one with" but it seems like both of them Google well, so I guess I just need to be more flexible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3:55
    This definitely skews old, you BOOB, but that sits well with me. I mean, RHEA Perlman?

    ReplyDelete