Wednesday, October 3, 2018

Wednesday, October 3, 2018, Jennifer Nutt

11:32

Today's theme answers relate the story of Queen CASSIOPEIA, ruler of ETHIOPIA, who was banished to the sky by POSEIDON for boasting that she was more beautiful than THENEREIDS. Pride goeth, as the British might say. Could SOLACES be a hidden theme answer (Ones who know a lot about the sun?) :)

Five X's appear in the grid placed so that they form the Cassiopeia constellation. Stellar! These NYT puzzle constructors don't myth a TRICK.



Interesting to learn that a YACHT was a pre-1977 presidential perk. Who KNEW?  Maybe it was a more AUSTERE time.

~Frannie.


2 comments:

  1. When I saw the perk I figured Jimmy Carter must have gotten rid of it because he wasn't really the perk type. But it was only from crosses that I got YACHT and then it was vaguely familiar but that's about as far as I could get without looking it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 6:36
    Wouldn't it have been a less AUSTERE time? Anyway... I liked the history in this one, and I totally missed the X-stars. That's really nice.

    ReplyDelete