Friday, February 18, 2022

Friday, February 18, 2022, Aimee Lucido

A relatively quick solve for me today - if I discount the 4 minutes I spent trying to figure out what letter could possibly complete BLA_O at 3D that would also somehow work with the clue "Soft". :( Our perspicacious readers will note that I had two incorrect letters working against me - DAbS for "Offers a fist, in a way" and ERlE for "Fort ___ (Peace Bridge terminus). While I thought ERlE might be wrong, I thought DAbS was probably correct. Eventually, though, after running the alphabet for the open square several times, I re-read the Peace Bridge clue and realized I did know it; it was our old friend ERIE. BRAINFART!

The only other area I had trouble with was in the south west where I tried BADActorS where BADAPPLES belonged. With the solve going so smoothly, I failed to notice the DtLUS and HOoES weren't what you normally call words. 

It's always interesting to me how what I know and what I don't know impacts the solve. If I had known TONKATSU was "Deep-fried Japanese pork cutlet", or Queen Latifah's real name was OWENS, I could have avoided two time-consuming trouble spots. On the other hand, if I had taken a little more time to think about the clue at 14A... ALAS

19A: LOREN

As I reviewed the completed grid, I found a lot to like, including some personal favorites:
"They come in waffle and sugar varieties" (CONES) - IMO, the cone is the best part of eating ice cream.
"Faint theatrically" (SWOON) - great word.
"Steamy period pieces" (BODICERIPPERS) - apt! 

While I didn't love HUFFY for "Irritated" or ADORE for "Can't get enough of", I did enjoy "Green features" (HOLES), "Field that involves blood, sweat and tears?" for (FORENSICS), "Was revolting" for (REBELLED), and "It might turn up a plot" (HOE) - ha.

~Frannie.

No comments:

Post a Comment