Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Tuesday, February 22, 2022, Jacob McDermott

Is it TUESDAY or Twosday? I suppose that's the question that this puzzle is not really posing at all. On the other hand, rebuses on a Tuesday? What is the world coming to?

I figured out the rebus nearly immediately in the NW corner, when I hit 21A: Well-trodden, as a path (FOO[TWO]RN), already having the FOO___ in place. It made GRAN[TWO]OD make a lot more sense.

Everywhere I turned, it seemed I was running into rebuses. But what makes me most likely to say "I[TWO]RKS" is the little animation that popped up when I finished the puzzle, showing that the five rebus squares were placed in the shape of the number 2. 

And all because it's taking place on 2/22/22. Happy multiples of 2 day!

Also surprising was the answer at 41A: Shortcut to highlighting the addressbar on most internet browsers (FSIX). Most of the time, I'll see that written out as F6, rather than F-six. Apparently, in Chrome, the shortcut is command-L. 

Questionably the North Pole?

I'll note some answers I liked, such as GRENDEL (reminding me of Harvard Square), A[TWO]RLDSEND, and OPERAGOER. That last one is something I would like to do again soon. I have been to see two staged musicals and a film in the last month, so little to complain about here.

Does anyone still SHIRR an egg? I wouldn't know how.

- Colum

No comments:

Post a Comment