Thursday, February 24, 2022

Thursday, February 24, 2022, Jake Halperin

I can't believe we're already at the Turn this week. It flew by! Tomorrow is a snow day, I have declared. I am taking a long weekend, and nobody's going to stop me.

But enough about tomorrow, let's look at today. It's a slightly tricksy Thursday puzzle. The theme answers take standard two word phrases where the first word can be used to describe a letter. In these cases, the letter described is both the first letter of the second phrase (which is then doubled) and at the same time described within the clue word.

Boy, that took a lot of words to explain. Could it have been done more succinctly? Undoubtedly. But where would the fun be in that?

Let's take an example: 17A: Wight, e.g.? The answer is LONGIISLAND. The original phrase Long Island, now reinterpreted as an island whose name has a long I. Thus, the Isle of Wight. I'm particularly fond of one of the HARDCCANDIES: the Cadbury Creme Egg. I have one waiting for me right now, a present from my lovely wife, coincidentally given to me today. What are the odds?

See if you can find the Isle in question

It's fun seeing those out of place doubled letters in the theme answers. 

BARBQS on the other hand, feels odd as an answer. It seems to be straddling the fence between "BBQs" and "Barbeques." Thoughts?

Otherwise, I liked BEGATHON and 40D: Gets foggy (STEAMSUP), which could definitely have been clued more bluely, if that's acceptable.

Our family appreciates The Lonely Goatherd, and other songs from The Sound of Music.

5D: Who is this in France (QUI) is such a fun clue. Like 32A: Give it a twirl! (BATON), the answer is referred to in the clue neatly.

Finally, 50D: Celerity (HASTE) will always make me think of the end of the second act of HMS Pinafore. 

"Go, sir, get you hence, to your cabin with celerity..."

Response: "Who's playing Celerity tonight again?"

- Colum

1 comment:

  1. Thoughts: Yes, I was thrown by BARBQS as well. After whipping through Wednesday's offering, this was a very pleasant, challenging dash of cold water, reflected in my 9:10 solve time. Love the self-referential theme answers!!

    Cadbury Creme Eggs are a seasonal weakness of mine :)

    How close to the tournament do we have to be before I start asking questions about it?

    ReplyDelete