Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Tuesday, February 8, 2022, Jack Joshi and Jackson Janes and Adam Aaronson

Four units of measure are preceded by four fruits in today's theme. The bracketed word in each theme clue made me slightly uneasy as I was solving, because I didn't stop to figure out what it was there for, but afterward, I realized it's explaining what is measured by each unit of measure. The second entry is bit muddled by TOMATOMETER itself being used to measure reactions to movies. And does it matter that LEMONBARS and FIGNEWTON are both actual foods, while the other two are not?

Duo's OWL over time

I thought "12D: Longest non-Russian river in Europe" was an odd clue for DANUBE. Why not just say "Second-longest river in Europe?" And I do not agree that "Transplants" and GRAFTS are identical. "Hand-holding at equestrian school?" (REIN), on the other hand, is a nice clue.

Frannie felt there was an overall "boy" vibe given off by this puzzle, and I have to agree. Lots of BMWS, GAMESTOP, OOHBABY, and DUH. And she was particularly put off by the inequity of the twice-used "... for a señor or señorita." Why not "señor or señora?" 

- Horace

1 comment:

  1. Hi my name is Veronica I am a film student at Boston University creating a documentary on competitive crosswords puzzles. I created a post in the Crosswords Tournaments Facebook group and I was turned to y'all's blog. I would love to use any of you as interview subjects. I am also hoping to go to the American Crossword Tournament in Stamford and heard you both will be doing the same. Let me know if you want any involvement or have any leads to people who may be interested. Here is some of my work and you can email me at la.vero@yahoo.com

    https://lavero5.wixsite.com/portfolio

    ReplyDelete