Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Wednesday, February 16, 2022, Rich Proulx

A theme tailor-made to make an impression: the theme answers, WHITECOLLAR, GREENSLEEVES, SILVERLINING, and YELLOWTAILS when put together would certainly result in an eye-catching COATOFMANYCOLORS. I was a little slow picking up the thread of the theme, partly because I didn't remember that the coat story comes from Genesis. In review, I noticed that all but one of the theme clues called for information I didn't have at my fingertips, revealing gaps in my general knowledge - "Upside, when down" for SILVERLINING was the only one I got right off the clue. On the topic of time, the solve as a whole seamed slow for this solver. While I can't point to any specific difficulties, it was a relatively slow solve (10:45) for a Wednesday - maybe due in part to the somewhat larger-than-average grid. 

32A: ECARTE
Bermicourt, CC BY-SA 4.0 <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0>, via Wikimedia Commons

The two sets of longer down answers in the northeast and southwest were all solid. Interesting bit about the original title of LATRAVIATA. Elsewhere, I liked "Key that's never used alone: Abbr." (CTRL), "They're placed in locks" (OARS), "Carrot's counterpart" (STICK), and of course, the MILNE quote, "People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day." :)

Fill-wise, I liked SMASH, SASS, SCREE, and SCRY. And how about the crossover fun of Spelling Bee darlings TORI and TARSI? Fitting.

~Frannie.

2 comments:

  1. Shocked! Shocked at the egregious misspelling of 'COLOURS'!!! ha ha excuse me, my Canuckness is showing.... This was a nice juicy one, with not much revealing itself instantly but all fair throughout (except maybe FOER, which required all the crossers).

    One of the first things I ever saw in a theatre was a high-school production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat. Made a huge impact at the time and has stuck with me ever since!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never saw the musical but always loved the story -- the end always makes me cry no matter how often I hear it. So that answer plopped in immediately. I enjoyed the theme answers very much. Had SAVE ME instead of SAVE US for 'way too long, and in the end, realized I'd misspelled PREP. But a delightful time!

    ReplyDelete