Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Wednesday, February 23, 2022, Rose Conlon

Is it Wednesday or is it Whensday? Okay, now I'm just being silly. 

Clearly, today's puzzle was a labor of love. It's not often a crossword puzzle constructor sees the progeny of her mind birthed into the world in the New York Times. It's a girl! [Pregnant pause inserted for appropriate groans]. Congratulations on your first baby... um, debut puzzle, Rose Conlon!

The theme today is SIGNFORDELIVERY, what we usually do when something is delivered to our door. Instead, it's reinterpreted by Ms. Conlon as those indications that it's time to rush to the hospital for your child to be born, namely GUTFEELING, THEKICKER, BUMPYRIDE, and WATERBREAK. I had no idea what was going on until I re-examined the whole puzzle. That's a sign of a good delivery, if you ask me.

Meanwhile, we get such flavorful entries like URBANCAVER, something I've never done. But I've definitely been interested in the defunct passageways of no longer used New York subway tunnels. Also, there's the pairing of MANSPLAINS and ROIDRAGE. I really try not to do the former, and there's no risk of the latter, in my case. Really, ITRY!

An ASIAN map of old

I'm amused by HALF crossing ALL.

How many of us have ever said "Get BENT!"? It seems potentially like it might be 1950's slang. In that case, AKELA should feel right at home, once again!

But these are small concerns. FOMO, IDUNNO, CHEROKEE... the puzzle is a lot of fun, and I hope a sign of more good things to come from this constructor!

- Colum


2 comments:

  1. I too had to study the revealer and the theme answers for a bit before I
    realized what was afoot. Very clever and unusual Wednesday. I think
    GETBENT is within our lifetimes. I want to say 70s or 80s. I may have
    even uttered the phrase once or twice, probably jokingly or to a friend
    (or to Horace; I jest, of course). Colum is no doubt more refined than
    I, thus his unfamiliarity with the invective. Embarrassing to admit on
    this blog perhaps, but my time for every workday puzzle so far this week
    has been 9-something. I guess if I maintain that through Saturday, I
    might come close to Philbo and Colum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only know GETBENT from The Simpsons (one of Bart's endearing little phrases).. URBANCAVING is definitely a thing here in Toronto and also in Montreal, where my father once took a wrong turn in a shopping mall stairwell, went through a door and then a series of corridors and stairs and emerged on a platform overlooking a huge cavern within the mountain (the eponymous Mount Royal), which housed a vast train yard. I only wish I'd been there!

    But I digress. I loved this puzzle and whipped thru in a bouncing 3:45, and it was only upon taking a 2nd look that I appreciated the theme - just like you Colum! Nice work!!

    ReplyDelete