Saturday, February 26, 2022

Saturday, February 26, 2022, Ori Brian

It seems to be the thing these days to have stacks in the middle set up like stairs, which allows for more interesting long answers. Today's puzzle doesn't disappoint, with GOSPELTRUTH, SEXPOSITIVE, and the lovely clue at 35A: End of a waiting list? (DESSERTMENU). I was very confused by that last one for a while because I had UVULA in place, and couldn't figure out how the long answer would end in a U.

Another challenging answer came at 29D: Long (SLIMTONONE). Boy, that clue has so many possible interpretations. I guess we're using it here with regards to odds, but it's a stretch. I had _LI_TONON_ for a while, trying to parse it so it could make sense. 

Speaking of crazy tough clues, how about 37A: Use a shuttle, say (TAT). Oof! I would never have thought of lace making when looking at that clue. Fortunately, I got the answer entirely from crossings!

Morocco and its KASBAHs is in here somewhere

So much else here to force the solver to think laterally. 10D: Cry like a kid (BLEAT) - a goat is what's meant here, not a human child. 11D: Person you're in with (CELLMATE) - nearly symmetrically opposed to DIDTIME.

On the other hand, 34D: It makes waves (SEAWATER) is literal to the extreme. They can really get you coming and going!

I'll tip my cap to our constructor (and/or editors) for the clue at 14A: Pianist/composer Schumann (CLARA). Not the more widely known Robert Schumann, her husband, also a pianist and a composer. She was actually more celebrated than her husband for her performing. Her piano concerto no. 2 in F minor is pretty amazing.

I moved pretty quickly through this Saturday, despite the mixups along the way. 7:44. Turning it over tomorrow to Horace, I do not EGRET to say.

- Colum

2 comments:

  1. Huh. 7:44 for me too. But mine doesn't count as I FWOE, thanks to not catching that CASBAH should have been KASBAH. So my inattentiveness cost me.

    ReplyDelete