Friday, July 1, 2022

Friday, July 1, 2022, Christina Iverson and Caitlin Reid

The Turn is going great so far this week! After yesterday's clever Thursday, today we have a themeless TODIEFOR with some great answers and fun clues.

I love when constructors' voices come through in their grids. I am just making assumptions here, but OHHELLNO and YOUGOGIRL have a great colloquial feel that I imagine comes from the constructors' own conversational styles. 

Or maybe they're more into the PRAYDO school of delightfully archaic politeness.

Other fun answers include ATEFORTWO and ONEPOTATO. I really tried to fit "eeny, meeny, miny, mo" into that space, but it was a NOGO.

LAUGHIN

Clues I enjoyed included:

18A: Enterprise that's folding (ORIGAMI) - I should have trusted my instincts and just put it in. Instead I got to it much later in my solve.

37A: Courtside seats? (THRONES). I suppose they are!

57A: Tag line? (DONOTIRON). Hah!

I don't love starting the puzzle off with the very obscure ATTA (clued as the whole wheat flour used to make Indian breads). On the other hand... I do love naan. And overall the puzzle was tasty with the addition of NACHOS, APRICOTS, and EDAM. Sounds like a pretty good meal, come to think of it.

- Colum

No comments:

Post a Comment