Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Tuesday, July 5, 2022, Malgorzata Nowakowska and Eileen Williams

Today's puzzle is, they tell me, filled with Taylor SWIFT songs. I don't think I've ever knowingly heard one, so I can't put them in order of my own preference or anything like that, but I guess if I had to rank them by title alone - which I don't - I'd say:

RED
FEARLESS
BLANKSPACE
MINE
SHAKEITOFF
DEARJOHN
BABE

Unless DEARJOHN is a cover of the John Prine song, then I might reconsider. But no, I said I was ranking them by title alone, and I still think that's a weaker title. 
 
BANFF
I want to go to there.

In non-theme material, I like one of the two long Downs - STORYBOOK (Perfect, as a romance), but PUTUPJOBS (Well-orchestrated ruses) is not a term I'm familiar with. It's not like I FREAKED about it or anything, and it wasn't as wholly unknown to me as La ROCHE-Posay, but I did need to AMASS a HEAP of crosses before I put it in.

After yesterday's diatribe and today's verbal shoulder shrug, I'm starting to think that IOWEYOU a decent review. Here's hoping I find something to GRASP onto in tomorrow's grid.

- Horace


3 comments:

  1. I noticed that Auntie RONA made it to the world of crosswords. I don't know if she's anyone's favorite aunt, but she seems to always show up at the big family gatherings whether we invite her or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this one for a Tuesday. "Blank Space" and "Shake It Off" are two of my fav Swift songs. YOINK is completely bogus, but ya gotta love a puzzle with BABE MAGNET, SEXT, and GRABAT. Don't you;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SEXT, yes, but not the way it's clued. First? Who really says that? Second? There's a perfectly good way to clue SEXT. We had TERCE the other day, so what in the bleep is wrong with cluing SEXT as [Noon prayer, for some]. I mean, this doesn't take a whole lot of thought.

      Delete