Sunday, October 21, 2018

Sunday, October 21, 2018, Finn Vigeland

YOU'RE GOING DOWN

The theme answers today should have the word "down" added at the end to make them work perfectly, as in 3D: Headline after a toddler C.E.O. resigns, literally?" (BABYSTEPS (down)). Answers like THERESTHERUB (14D: "For a massage, go that way!," literally?) could work without the "down," but most of the others kind of need it to make sense. Like 77D: One answer to the question "What's your favorite music genre," literally? (JAZZHANDS (down)). It's a little tortured, but it's fine.

Things I did not know before today:

AMARNA = Where cuneiform was discovered.
NOLITA = Manhattan neighborhood next to the Lower East Side
ICET = Potrayer of TV's Det. Fin Tutola
ASHLAR = Squared building stone
THEFBI = 1960s-'70s police drama
NEWT = Seventh-year exam in Harry Potter
EGAN = Jennifer who wrote "Manhattan Beach"
SWEDEN = First country to legalize changing one's gender identity (1972) - Wow!

But even with all that (and a few others), the solve was not unduly long. 

I would like to point out the following clues:

68A: Hole foods? (DONUTS)
41A: Where one might be well-suited (MENSSHOP)
the amusingly odd
1D: Embarrassment for an art curator (FAKE)
the very tricky
102D: Quote from a letter (RENT)
and my favorite
93D: Barbie attender (AUSSIE)

Good stuff.

And how about the risqué BADASS (60D: Total baller). I'm not sure how that one slipped by the censors!

Frannie takes over today. I'm not sure if she's going to write anything about today's puzzle, so I guess I'd better put in an image.

46-Down
And with that, I'm out. See you in a few weeks.

TATA!

- Horace

1 comment:

  1. I did not understand the theme at all until I finished the whole puzzle, and looked it over (which I guess says something about how quickly I finished it, well below average time for a Sunday). But once I got it, I actually laughed out loud over several of the answers. My favorites are ELEGANTLYPUT[DOWN] and JAZZHANDS[DOWN]. Excellent stuff.

    ReplyDelete