Saturday, September 23, 2017

Saturday, September 23, 2017, Robyn Weintraub

0:10:47 (F.W.O.E.)

Ms. Weintraub and I were on the same wavelength today. Perhaps, like me, she spent the idle hours of her youth in arcades, hoping to populate the HIGHSCORES (B+) with her initials. And possibly she exclaimed YIPPEE (20A: "I won!") when she did.



This flew right along. Kind of a SNAP, really, for a Saturday. My one mistake came, amusingly, on the time-honored answer OREO. The novel clue "It's 29% cream" fooled me into thinking of butter-like products, and I put in OlEO, even though that makes no sense. The Down clue "One getting bald over time" is really good for TIRE, and once I went back over the puzzle, I quickly corrected it from "tile," but it was too late, I had already registered the FWOE.

I enjoyed the ten-stacks, and the four long downs were all strong. ITFIGURES (32D: "Why am I not surprised!") and SWEETSPOT (12D: Perfect place) were great, but PAWPRINTS (11D: Dog-walking trail), believe it or not, was my favorite.

There was very little that got my dander up today. Even RECD (26D: Office stamp abbr.) didn't bother me. I guess the only complaint I have is that it was over too quickly.

- Horace

2 comments:

  1. 9:05 (FWOE)
    I got OREO, but messed up on 4D: Wired (HYPER). I put in HYPEd, which works. On the other hand, 22A: Appointed member of Parliament (PEER) is certainly not PEEd. Although that's pretty funny. I thought this puzzle was outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 18:16
    Very easy Saturday, and it may just be a record time for me. Great clue for SPICIEST, and BMOVIE (48A Cheesy fare) fooled me right until the end, when there was an audible head-slap.

    ReplyDelete