Friday, January 4, 2019

Friday, January 4, 2019, Neil Padrick Wilson

10:51

AREWEDONE?

No? Just got started?

IFNOT...

(Wait for it...)

We're RIGHTONTIME!

Hmmm. Let me just say that you should not allow the STENCH of that silly start to take away from a very fine Friday offering from Mr. Wilson (his second in the NYT). Everywhere I look in this grid, there's excellent stuff. Just take that W into SW section. WARMFUZZIES, IMEANREALLY, RAMONE, and TWIHARD! So good.

And the symmetric area has BARSINISTER as well as MAYICUTIN (nice clue: "Line at a dance") and the ludicrous BITEME!

If we have to accept a ONEA or TPK, it seems a very small price to pay.

And the best clue of the year so far: 5D: Busing supervisors (MAITREDS). I had ___TREDS and I couldn't parse that as ... d's to save my life.

Very fine puzzle.

- Colum

1 comment:

  1. 25:25
    MAITREDS got me, too, right up to the end! I loved BARSINISTER, as it reminded me of "Underdog" and the villain Simon Bar Sinister. I never knew of the meaning, of course, as I watched the show mainly as a youngster. BIKINIWAX was surprising, and I really, really wanted TWIHeaD, but all of the letters for the cross INSANE kept working out. I also had ___RAS for a while at 48A Serengeti stampeders, but not until I got the WARMFUZZIES was I able to see ZEBRAS. Great Friday.

    ReplyDelete