Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Wednesday, July 18, 2018, David Steinberg

7:43

Scattered around this 15 x 15 DIGSITE are multiple F[OS]SILS, which, when taken together, spell out [TY][RA][NN][OS][AU][RU][SR][EX]. What, a rebus puzzle on a Wednesday? What is the world coming to?

I was happy with it, let me tell you! I got the [RA] first. Even once I got the first rebus and the revealer, I still didn't get what it was spelling out until the very end, because I thought each fragment would represent its own species. It's a pretty SHOWY piece of work. You can even imagine that the outline of the fragments makes a T. Rex's tooth or claw. It's also really nice how the two middle revealers cross each other.

I suppose there's such a thing as OPE[NN]OTE tests. For me they were always known as "open book," but times may have changed. The young'uns don't know from books, you know. It's all online now. GYMBU[NN]IES is also much nicer than "gym rats." Is there a gender difference?

Speaking of gender specific terms, the intersection of THEM and HER was amusing. Is this a wink at those of us who are displeased by the use of a plural pronoun to refer to a singular person? I suppose if we're going this direction, I'd prefer to use xe/xem/xyr. Note the X is pronounced as a Z.

I really liked 35D: Mole (BE[AU]TYMARK) for the wide open clue. I was thinking the animal, the term for an undercover spy, before I ever came around to the dermatologic term.

In any case, I say SHEESH to the beauty of the construction, and enjoyed the solve, so overall pretty hearty thumbs up.

- Colum

4 comments:

  1. 13:46
    This was a great one. I got that there was a rebus with the [NN] of GYMBU[NN]IES, but like Colum, didn't get what was happening with it until near the end, and that's the PLAINT[RU]TH. And also, I entered OPE[Nb]Ook at first before I had trouble with the GYMBU[NN]IES and EBBS crosses, at which time I changed it. I think that the outline is more of a rib, maybe, but I can see a tooth or claw, I guess. This was a great Wednesday, my favorite so far, so I'm all for the expansion of the rebus puzzle from just Thursday to Sunday and now Wednesday. Keep 'em comin'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 11:56 (FWRE)(Finished With a Rebus Error)
    Yeah, this is an outstanding Wednesday puzzle. Or, really, for any day of the week. I've run hot and cold on Mr. Steinberg's work in the past, but there's nothing to EN[RA]GE me here.

    I found the rebus almost immediately, but the first was also the one I got wrong, entering CO[co] at 1A, thinking, of course, of Ms. Chanel. I still don't recognize CO[TY], but [TY]LERPERRY is more well known to me than [co]LERPERRY, so I was able to fix things up fairly quickly.

    Really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. I like xe, xem, xyr quite a bit. Did you make that up, or is that a thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, that's a thing! It's been around apparently since the early 70s. I've seen it used rarely though.

      Delete