Monday, April 11, 2022

Monday, April 11, 2022, Rachel Simon

Did you PICKUP the theme while solving? I sure didn't, but I enjoy the set of words that can follow PICKUP - lines, games, trucks, and sticks. Very nice. 

GEODE

I liked KEEPOUT (Sign on a moody teen's door) and COLOGNE appearing side-by-side (although COLOGNE and teen-agers should not be mixed in real life), BLOSSOMED (Came into one's own) is nice, and TOETAP (Keep time with the foot) was unusual.

I'm OVER, entries like OAST (Brewer's kiln), ASPS, ADMAN, ANAL, and OTO, but I understand that they're often required to allow the good stuff.

So back to the good stuff we go - TADA clued as a "Cousin of 'VoilĂ !" was cute, and SHEAF is an unusual (and, often, therefore good) entry. Frannie particularly enjoyed DRY (Like some humor and wine), and the misleading "Record holder" for SLEEVE reminded me of a lovely experience I had last week - I went into a record store selling used vinyl to look for a birthday gift for a friend with a turntable. Flipping through the albums in their "recent acquisitions" was like being transported back in time. Zep Two was playing in the store, the records themselves were an eclectic  mix of 70s, 80s, and 90s titles, and even the motor skill of flipping through them one-by-one with my fingers felt distantly familiar. I know this is an old person's old argument, but something lovely was lost when music moved from LPs to CDs and then to nothing but air.

Anyway, that's my rant and I'm sticking to it. Solid Monday. See you tomorrow!

- Horace


No comments:

Post a Comment