Thursday, April 7, 2022

Thursday, April 7, 2022, Lucy Howard and Ross Trudeau

At first, while working through the NE corner, I wondered if it might be "Talk Like a Pirate Day!" I was faced with YOHO, BOOTY, and 23D: Treasure buried in the hills (ORES), not to mention 23A: "Roger that" (OKEYDOKE). Sort of like a Jolly Roger, I guess. 

But no. That particular day doesn't come around until September. And when I filled in 3D: Moonshine container (WHIS[KEY]JUG), I realized we were dealing with something to do with turning a key. So the revealer at 48A: Jailers ... or a hint to "unlocking" four answers in this puzzle (TURNKEYS) wasn't too much of a surprise.

The other three unlocked answers are MON[KEY]PAW, TUR[KEY]DAY, and DON[KEY]KONG. Which reminds me of old riddles about what has keys but can't open doors? See above.

Another thing I'm reminded of in this puzzle comes from 6D: Stuffed Jewish dish (KISHKA). Does anyone else remember the Seinfeld episode where George's father suddenly reveals that he's a master Jewish chef? 

Marisa TOMEI

I enjoyed MCJOB, a surprise answer, as well as DECOCT. JADA Pinkett Smith felt very on topic from recent Oscar related events.

Finally, I'll acknowledge the constructors representation for LGBT issues, by cluing EMMASTONE with Billie Jean King, as well as the adjacent METROsexual and talking about how flags are FLOWN.

- Colum

2 comments:

  1. OK - I have a beef today. Not really a beef, more just bluster to cover up my error right off the bat - NOOB instead of NEWB. As everybody knows and I should), NOOB can't be right as its correct spelling is with zeros and not letter-O's. So that marred what was otherwise a super fun, pleasant puzzle. I do remember the Frank Costanza army chef episode - Seinfeld at its convoluted best! (Also recall TOMEI had a mini-story arc in that series). 6:41

    Hey, to get myself in the mood, I solved this one while listening to the third movement of Beethoven's Violin Concerto in D Major!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! Nice ACPT reference. I'm still disappointed that it did not figure in the Yale production we saw. Then again, maybe it's in the second act. ;)

      Delete