Monday, August 2, 2021

Monday, August 2, 2021, Kyra Wilson

It does not feel entirely propitious when the Monday crossword puzzle during your beach vacation week predicts bad weather, but oh, well, here we are! Couldn’t we have had “sunnyside up,” or “breezy conversation,” or some such?

Instead, we get the very amusing revealer at 52A, namely WEATHERFRONT, which secondarily refers to the starts of the other three theme answers. CLOUDSTORAGE was a good start, and LIGHTNINGBUG and THUNDERBIRDS followed well. It’s a straightforward concept, carried out nicely.

I moved a little more slowly than typical on a Monday, slowed down by unexpected delights like KVETCH and STANS. Thank goodness for my daughters, or that last would have thrown me for an absolute loop. 

Speaking of completely missing the point of a clue, I read 26D: Manage one’s account via the internet (EBANK) as referring to an email account, and had no clue why the answer was correct until just now. 

DMING has taken on a completely different meaning for me. I have started to lead a group of friends in a personally created campaign in Dungeons and Dragons, 5th edition. This gives me the title of Dungeon Master, or DM. I like this meaning much better than the other, as I use neither Twitter nor Instagram. Or at least not much, in the case of the latter.

It’s a fine Monday, which played slightly hard.

- Colum

1 comment:

  1. So Colum, where about is this beach that you are on? I am jealous but not too jealous as I will be on a beach at the end of the Gaspe Peninsula (google it!) in a couple of weeks. Cold ocean water, spectacular scenery, good food and drink with my family - I am so looking forward to it!

    I am pleased to be able to (finally) report my membership in the 3:00 club for these Monday xwords - 2:42, largely due to, for once, no stupid typos. Agreed - a very clever theme! Maybe Ms. Wilson could have shoehorned in 'RAINBOWCOALITION' or some such.....

    ReplyDelete